Thursday, May 14, 2009

Hibernate fix in Eeebuntu after swap resize

I just got myself a nice ASUS EEEPC 1000H and directly installed Eeebuntu on it.

Hibernate was never working for me out of the box after installation, so I resized the swap space, because I thought it might be too small (which actually broke even more).

Here are the steps I used to finally enable Hibernation:
  • launch  gnome config sudo gconf-editor and navigate to "apps -> gnome-power-manager -> general" and make a mark at "can_hibernate"
  • in the terminal enter blkid and copy the UUID of the swap partition
  • edit the filesystem table using "sudo gedit /etc/fstab" and add previously copied UUID of the swap space to the line to mount the swap partition: UUID=xxxx none swap sw 0 0 (where xxxx is the copied UUID)
  • edit the initramfs settings for resuming using "sudo gedit /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume" and add the previously copied UUID: RESUME=UUID=xxxx (where xxxx is the copied UUID)
  • enable the new initramfs settings by typing sudo update-initramfs -u
This might also work for other netbooks and also other linux distributions.

Can't wait to try out the new eeebuntu 3, which should be available tomorrow.

2 comments:

javamatte said...

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

After 3 days googling and spelunking for answers to why my Eeepc wouldn't hibernate, this clued me in to my problem. I had recently changed the swap partition, but I assumed that the system pulled the boot UUID from the existing swap space. Once I changed the UUID and updated the init stuff I was good to go for hibernation.

Matt - eeebuntu 3.0 standard on an eeepc 901a

GTD Marc said...

Hi Matt

I'm glad my little post helped you. I know how frustrating it can be when stuff simply doesn't seem to work. It took me also a while to figure this one out.

Best regards,

Marc